Thursday, September 15, 2011

if i could freeze time

if i could freeze time, i think i'd choose this very moment. 

i would freeze this time with my 5 year old son, so i could forever remember him sitting outside of kindergarten, legs crossed, sitting next to a friend. how when i walked up to him, he smiled, jumped to his feet, looked back and his friend and waved goodbye. i would freeze this time with my 5 year old son so i could forever remember our morning walks to school, how we hold hands the entire way. i would freeze this time with my 5 year old so i could forever remember how he loves to come up behind me, wrap his arms around my neck and beg me to stand up and run around the house with him on my back. i would bottle his laugh, his smile, and the memory of every single strategically placed toy and trinket in his room. 

i would freeze this time with my 3 year old daughter so i could forever remember how she prances around the house in her little skirts. how when i tell her it's time for nap, she always asks for two more minutes and then i give her ten. i would freeze this time with my 3 year old so i could forever remember how the curls in her hair are sun kissed and perfect and soft. how she laid her tiny hand on my poison ivy covered arm and asked jesus to take the pain away. i would freeze this time with my 3 year old daughter so i can always remember how it takes us way too long to leave the house to run an errand. how if she forgets that one certain toy, she begs me to run back into the house and grab it, and of course, i do. i would bottle her freckles, the sweet tilt in her head as she smiles, and how she copies my moves just like a little momma. 

these two children of mine have their moments. sometimes they are at each others throats, sometimes they are at mine. but most of the time, i am in awe of how much the rhythm of their being beats in step with each other, and with mine. 

if all i ever am in this world is eli and emma's mother, that is perfectly fine with me. 

No comments: