Thursday, July 2, 2009

Inch by Inch


Another garden friend has inched his way into our lives. We discovered him in our lettuce on a warm summer evening. I thought about removing him before Eli ever noticed because I didn't want to spend the next couple of days feeding it filtered water and lettuce. I looked at the caterpillar. Then, I looked at my son. Then, I looked at the caterpillar again and said, "what the hay, I'm up for the task." We scooped him up and Eli ran around our cul-de-sack showing all the neighborhood children his new friend. Seriously, he screamed from across the street, 
"Alllllleeeeeeexxxxxx...do you want to see my caterpillar."

We brought him into the house which was my first mistake because later that evening I noticed Eli alone with Emma in the corner of our living room. I noticed he was trying to look in her mouth and said, "what you got?" I ran as fast as I could to my daughter, opened her mouth and rejoiced, because it was only a Cheerio. I turned to Eli and said, "where's the caterpillar?"
"I don't know," he replied. So, we sent out an Amber Alert in search of our green little friend. We found him relaxing on a pillow. We then placed him in Eli's bug catcher, gave him some fresh water and lettuce and set him on our door step for the night. In the meantime, Eli sobbed and cried, "my best friend." I gave him a piece of candy and magically, he was better.

No comments: