Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Gardening 101

People mistake me for a Master Gardener. I am no such thing. I have two gardening books, one is borrowed. I read the back of seed packets. I search on the Internet. Mostly, I use trial and error. That's how I like to garden and I've been pretty successful at it. So, for those of you who want in on my gardening expertise, I give you...
Melissa's Gardening 101
Pay attention my friends, take notes, you're in for some great information.
#1 Embrace your garden friends. They are here to help you. Love them. Love them dearly.
#2 Smile. My marigolds are always smiling at me. You'd be surprised what a little smile can do.
#3 Talk. Want tomatoes like this? Talk to them. Every night, I kid you not, when Eli and I exit our garden you can hear the following words come out of his mouth, "goodnight garden, grow big." 
#4 Flick your tomato blooms. Besides being fun, it helps to pollinate them. So, flick away.
#5 Don't be afraid to try something new, even if it's an "as seen on t.v." gadget. This topsy turvy was gifted to me by my father-in-law. The plant is now touching the ground and have numerous tomatoes hanging. These things actually work!

No comments: