Wednesday, September 2, 2009

This Season

Last night, the four of us were driving home after an evening outing. The children were in the backseat, fast asleep. We drove down my favorite country road to the sound of Hillsong United, I noticed the bright moon and as we passed neighborhoods, I did what I always do...attempt to glance in the windows to get a peek into someone else's life. 

We drove and drove and drove. A few minutes of silence passed while I look at homes and David maneuvered our little red car through some curves in the road. Then, the silence was broken with these words:

"This time right now in my life is very humbling," David said.

"What do you mean," I replied.

"The place God has taken me is one of humility. He has removed any pride I have in myself so I have nothing else to boast in but Him," he replied.

"I love this season in our lives," came out of my mouth. 

That's all I could say, and I do, love this season in our lives. It brings me back to my simple prayer at the beginning of the year...

Disturb us, O Lord,
  when with the abundance of things we possess,
           we have lost our thirst for the Waters of Life;
  having fallen in love with life, we have ceased to dream of eternity.
  And in our efforts to build a new earth,
           we have allowed our vision of the new heaven to dim..."
Sir Frances Drake


No comments: