Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Just Knock

Claremont, California...you know, our favorite walking spot
Yesterday, at our small group, a question was asked. 
"What has God done in your life lately that has you in awe?"
It came time for either David or I to answer. I knew what I wanted to say, but I had no words. I looked at David, he looked at me, we smiled at each other, and all I could say was, "things are exciting right now. I seriously cannot put it into words." The group looked at us and said, "you're pregnant, aren't you?" "No," I replied, "I just had a baby, are you crazy?"

The conversation went on but once again, the question was asked and we needed to answer. I attempted to find the right words, "Things are exciting right now. I'm excited about the change. David and I have never wanted to live a mundane life just doing the daily grind. David is taking care of the children while I get settled in my new job. Things are shaken up right now and it's good. God is doing crazy things in our lives right now and it's good."

Later that evening, David and I were talking. "Isn't it funny that they thought we were pregnant?" I said. David replied, "That's how our walk with Jesus should be, we should be glowing to the point where others look at us and ask us why we are filled with such joy. They expect us to have some great news to tell them like we're going to have a baby, or I just got a raise at work, or we're going on vacation. Our great news is that our God is mighty, He is gracious, His love is everlasting, we are His beloved, He blesses his children."

Back in December I heard of simple yet profound prayer that moved me to the point that I decided it would be the prayer over our lives for 2009. It's amazing to see the prayer come to pass.

Disturb us, Lord, when we are too well pleased with ourselves,
When our dreams have come true
Because we dreamed too little,
Because we sailed too close to the shore.

Disturb us, Lord, when
With the abundance of things we possess
We have lost our thirst
For the waters of life;
Having fallen in love with life,
We have ceased to dream of eternity
And in our efforts to build a new earth,
We have allowed our vision
Of the new Heaven to dim.

Disturb us, Lord, to dare more boldly,
To venture on wilder seas
Where storm will show Your mastery;
Where losing sight of land,
We shall find the stars.

We ask You to push back
The horizons of our hopes;
And to push us in the future
In strength, courage, hope, and love.
This we ask in the name of our Captain, who is Jesus Christ.
-Sir Frances Drake

No comments: