Saturday, July 3, 2010

Firsts


First gardening day of 2010

Today I was thinking about milestone moments in my life. Marriage. Birth. 

What I remember most about those moments are the first words that came out of my mouth. 

Not your typical milestone words were spoken. No. But my words were spoken. As silly as they were, it's those words that make the moment even more grand. 

So here you go, my top three first milestone words...

Wedding day. 2000. Me, 21. David, 22. Just said 'I do.' We walk hand in hand back up the isle. Pose for a picture or two. Exit the church. David and I turn to each other and I say..."Do we really have to go to the reception? Can't we just board a plane for Maui now?"

First child. 2006. Me, push, push, push. Silence in the room. Final push. Baby arrives. David announces, "it's a boy!" I look at the doctor and say..."are you sure?"

Second child. 2008. Me, push, push, push. Silence in the room. Final push. Baby arrives. David announces, "it's a girl!" I look at David, give him the look and say..."I'm not doing this again!"

Did I have fun at the wedding reception? Absolutely! Was I more than happy to have birthed a boy? No doubt! Was I beyond excited that I had a daughter? Yes and still shocked! Truth is, those milestone moments are engraved in my mind because of those silly first words spoken. 

Glad I didn't hold them back. 

No comments: