Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Packing Up Christmas

I've been packing up Christmas for the past couple of days. It's taken twice as long because I have twice as many children. Every year, while packing up Christmas, I write a letter (to myself) about the season and my hopes for the new year. Here's an excerpt of what I wrote this year:
My hopes for 2009 are big...
may God meet us in places where only He can work...
may our marriage continue to grow...
may we continue to simplify our lives...
may we be able to give more...
may we enjoy a beautiful vacation...
may my garden be more productive and bountiful than the last
I then fold the letter up and pack it away with the Christmas decorations. When I'm decorating the following year, I'm always surprised by the letter.
***
Here are some of my 2009 New Years Resolutions...
-Be more organized (home, bills, paperwork).
-Lose the darn baby weight. I. MUST. LOSE. THE. DARN. BABY. WEIGHT.
-Have consistent quiet times with God. Even if I have to sacrifice my alone time.
-Read a book or two. Not a magazine. Not a book on babies or parenting. A real book. You know what I mean.
-Make a new friend or two. Reach out to someone who needs a friend.
***
I love the beginning of a new year. It reminds me of my college days when I'd start a new quarter. New classes, new books, new pen and notebook (I always had to buy a new pen and notebook at the start of a quarter. It was wrong not to). With this new year, I feel refreshed and ready to endure winter, but I'm dreaming of spring
Happy New Year my friends,
Happy New Year!

No comments: